Friday, June 4, 2010

Numb[skull]

I ran to work last week, the first run longer than 2 or 3km's since the marathon. It's not that I have been sore or not wanting to run, it's just that I haven't had the opportunity lately. Too much study, housesitting and general life things getting in the way.

So I was looking forward to getting out on the road. Man was it cold! My feet were numb for the first half hour. Having never run barefoot in wintry conditions before, it was a different experience. And I paid for it too, with 2 massive blisters that were big enough to see from space. Almost. So now I understand why all the fuss other barefooters make about running when it's cold.

Just another lesson learned. To be fair, I didn't even realise I had them until I was having a shower at the gym, but I was certainly noticing them by the end of the day. Once popped they were fine, but I could have gone down to the blood bank and given a donation with the contents that emptied out.

This week has been my first running free week in 6 months. It feels weird. Again, it's not by choice, I have an exam on Sunday and for the first time in my life I'm being responsible and study...stud...studying. There, I said it.

Looking forward to hitting the road again (lightly) soon.

3 comments: