Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Be the change you want to see in the world

I realised last night that there's something about myself that I don't like. I tend to preach. It's easy to get excited about things you discover, and I genuinely believe that I have made some important self-discoveries of late that I think could help others. But that doesn't mean that I should be pushing my views onto them.

I intend to take a new approach. I recently read the quote from Ghandi I've used in the post title "Be the change you want to see in the world". I like it, and I think it applies to how I want to change my behaviour. Rather than try to convince others to try new things that you believe will help them, just set an example by behaving that way yourself. If they don't notice or don't care, or aren't interested for whatever reason, c'est la vie.

I'll offer my thoughts if asked, but otherwise I think it's best for my own sanity and that of the people I know to keep mum. I'm tired of trying to fight battles that can't be won. People will do what they want, even if it's detrimental to their own health or state of mind. Sometimes you have to bottom out before you seek the help of others, or they may not be ready for that change just yet, while other times it's just not big enough a deal to be a concern anyway. Either way, they're not going to listen to you unless they're already thinking of making changes. It has to come from within.

I don't think it'll be easy to modify a part of me that's probably been around for quite some time, but I'll sure as hell try to stop whenever I catch myself in the act. I'm sure Peita will appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment