Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 7. Athletics Track

Today I decided on something a little different. I have the advantage of living across the road from an athletics track, so today I gave it a spin...completely barefoot. Although I love the vibram five fingers, and will use them for any races I run in, I would like to toughen up my feet a bit more. To that end, I am going to try running barefoot on all types of surfaces and terrain, probably alternating between the vff's and barefooting.

So starting with a fairly flat and forgiving (albeit slightly rough) running track seemed like a good idea. And it was. At least until I decided to sprint the final lap to see what mediocre time I can run 400m in (1 minute 10 seconds for future reference). This resulted in a few blisters on my toes. I guess that's hardly surprising, since although I have been going barefoot walking a lot lately, this is a different level of workout for the soles. They don't really hurt, more a tingle than anything. Will pop them later after a shower and give them a clean up.

Having said that, I don't recommend going flat out barefoot unless you've eased into it gradually over weeks / months to allow your feet to toughen up (but not harden up - the soles do stay soft contrary to popular belief, they just need the dead skin cleaned away).

It definitely seems to help your time running on this surface. It felt like I was gliding across the track, even before hitting the gas. Being flat helps too no doubt. Although according to the gps data even after correction, it was the bumpiest track on the planet. Go figure. Guess it's not that reliable!

So that's the first week down, just under 57km. I'm amazed at how quickly my calves adapted, and even after the long run yesterday I feel completely fine. The extra load on the body hasn't yet really affected my energy levels in an adverse way, if anything I feel more energetic. As long as I don't overdo it I can see this being bloody awesome for my health & fitness.

Run Summary
Distance : 3.38 km
Time : 14.29
Elevation : 0 / -0


No comments:

Post a Comment